NOTES (skip this bit if you're interested in just the hints!)|
Is this a 'model' cryptic puzzle? No. the grid construction and clues don't necessarily follow 'best practice'. Indeed, one or two clues do, technically, break accepted rules. I've tried to ensure that the advantage always lies with the solver, though.
Why no beginner's guide to the various cryptic devices that are used? Because I hope beginners will discover these intuitively as they work through the puzzle - just as I did when I started out. Of course, it's well worth studying, at some point, the many devious tricks that cryptic setters have up their sleeves. You shouldn't have trouble finding a good guide on the subject on the web - e.g. the one at Theresa’s Cryptic Crosswords
Aren't cryptics supposed to be more exciting than this one? Yes - but because it's instructional, this puzzle is a bit on the dull side. Don't be put off, though; as you gain in confidence, you'll find there are many cracking cryptics out there to be enjoyed!
4. Solution contained inside the words of the clue.
9. 'One' + abbrev. for a theologian scholar + abbrev. of editor'.
10. Two definitions.
13. Answer sounds like something else.
18. A reversed word + 'a' + abbreviation + Roman numeral.
19. Another word + abbreviation of 'right'.
20. Made up of abbreviated word + another word.
23. Two defintions.
24. A first name with 'left' removed.
1. Two definitions.
2. Contained inside a word of the clue.
3. Abbreviated compass point + another word.
4. Made up of two other words.
5. Anagram (but remove a letter first).
6. Two definitions (strictly this is a double-definition of what is essentially the same word).
7. Remove the first letter from another word.
14. Contained in words of the clue.
15. Abbreviation + other word.
16. One word contained inside an abbreviation.
17. Anagram with abbreviation inside.
22. Answer = one of the clue words flipped over.
1. Anagram of 'READS'.
4. Contained inside 'temper, ornery'.
8. Anagram of SCEPTRE.
9. 'A' + abbrev. for Doctor of Divinity + (ed)itor'.
10. Two definitions (Far Eastern country).
12. Anagram of RECITAL.
13. Sounds like 'a tract'.
18. 'Cab' reversed + 'a' + abbreviation of 'road'+ Roman '1'.
19. Word meaning 'no longer alive' + R(ight).
20. Made up of abbreviated op(us)+ 'a long time'.
21. Anagram of AS WRENS .
23. Two definitions (physical assault is one).
24. 'Walter' with L(eft) removed.
1. Two definitions ('straightforward' is one).
2. Contained inside 'Prussian'.
3. S(outh) + 'the man'.
4. Made up of 'one of film crowd' + 'standard'.
5. Anagram of ARCTIC LAPP (less final 'p').
6. Two definitions ('cut' is one).
7. Remove the first letter from word meaning 'river crossings'.
11. Anagram of ANTEATER L(eft).
14. Contained in 'cabs or buses'.
15. Abbreviation of 'Account' + US coin.
16. ('oak', e.g.) contained inside an abbreviated 'street'.
17. Anagram of RARE with abbreviated 'South East' inside.
22. Answer = 'was' flipped over.